I (Holly) am allergic to many fruits and some nuts in their raw form. Apples, pears, peaches, cherries, nectarines, apricots and almonds - to name the most common culprits. Luckily, I can eat all of these foods when they are dried or cooked. It's a minor allergy, really, but the itchy and swollen mouth/throat generally deter me from eating what I know are incredibly delicious fresh fruits. The reactions generally exist on a spectrum - apples are always the worst.
When Daryl brought in a huge bowl of fresh figs for lunch today, I contemplated the potential discomfort:certain pleasure ratio and decided to test my luck. I am delighted to announce that fresh figs exist so low on the allergic reaction spectrum that I've green-lighted them for future consumption in bulk!
Delicious.
When Daryl saw me taking pictures of the figs, he wanted to be sure I noted the colorful beauty of the peppers he had prepared for us. Here is our cheerful Wednesday cook.
Daryl also prepared some fuul for us - a Middle Eastern dish made from fava beans. Also delicious - and scoring an obvious zero on the allergy spectrum!
No comments:
Post a Comment