Yesterday Ryan and I went to the Jordan National Gallery of Fine Arts. It's a pleasant walk from our house and was recommended by several people who have been before us. The museum has two separate buildings directly across the street from one another and separated by a sculpture garden. The buildings were really sleek and attractive(I think they remodeled 2 or 3 years ago). The art was gorgeous and incredibly visually stimulating. I don't recall seeing anything I didn't like or pique my interest.
The museum has an art library (!) right next to a bright cafe and large 3rd floor balcony.
This is a painting of Umm Kulthum, one of the most famous singers in the Middle East. Though she died in 1975, she is still greatly beloved (often referred to as the Middle East's "habibi" - darling/dear one) and completely ubiquitous. Easily recognizable for her beehive hairdo and bejeweled cat-eye sunglasses, we've seen her picture hanging in coffee shops, printed on t-shirts and now memorialized in fine art! Admiration for Umm Kulthum strikes me as similar to America's obsession with Audrey Hepburn, except here I sense it is also especially linked to national (she's Egyptian) and regional pride.
I'll follow this post with some more of the art we enjoyed.
No comments:
Post a Comment