Sunday, February 13, 2011

Zizkov TV Tower

We live just a 5 minute walk from the tallest (and decidedly ugliest) structure in Prague, the Zizkov TV Tower. Zizkov is our neighborhood. Currently, the tower hosts a radio station and observation rooms for a panoramic view of the city. Previously, the tower was built by the Communists in the mid 80's in an attempt to scramble incoming television and radio signals from West Germany. P.S. It's very, very interesting living in a post-Communist city. We are learning a lot.


You can't really tell in these pictures, but it was snowing during our walk!


From a distance, it looks like there are giant ants crawling all over the structure. You get closer and see they are babies.


A Czech artist called David Cerny installed them several years ago as a "temporary" exhibit, but they were so loved that they stayed. I think Pragueians like anything that makes Communism the butt of a joke.


Funny story. When I was in college, a most beloved roommate told me I was a Communist because my Social Security Number starts with a "1".

1 comment:

  1. babies just walking all over communism. take THAT, Stalin.

    ReplyDelete