Sunday, August 29, 2010

Darat al Funun

I first read about Darat al Funun in the Lonely Planet Jordan guide that floats around the office.  I knew it was close to our apartment, but I had no idea it would literally take me 7 seconds to walk door-to-door.

On Saturday I explored Darat al Funun with four young ladies who are in the region to serve for one year with MCC's SALT program.  It was incredible!  I wish I had known earlier I had such a treasure this close.  Rest assured I will be taking advantage of it with my remaining time in Jordan.

Darat al Funun is a "home for the Arts and the artists of Jordan and the Arab world."  The complex contains several buildings and gardens that stretch down a long portion of the hill that our apartment rests on.  We have passed it many times, but it is enclosed by a tall wall that would never give away what lies inside.  There are indoor art galleries, gardens, outdoor art installations, the ruins of an old Byzantine church and a cafe that will resume service after Ramadan ends.  I signed up for the email list serve, so when regular activities begin in early September we'll know about their special events and exhibits.  

Here are some of the many pictures I took there.



































Clockwise, from bottom left: Trish, Sarah, Janae, Joanna & Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment