Every morning we leave our apartment building, turn right, walk 40 paces and then stare down this beast.
This is about half of the staircase. It's impossible to get all the stairs in one shot, as they slope back beyond the horizon. These stairs are certainly contributing to my health. If I leave Amman in better shape than when I came, it will be because the city was built on a bunch of hills and the city planners were crazy for stairs. There's a good deal of inner monologue happening during this portion of our walk to work.
However! Art actually makes it better! The walls running along the staircase are covered in murals. We don't know who put them there, but I love it. Every once in a while, we see something new and have to figure out if we just didn't notice it before, or if the staircase is still actively being tagged.
These koi are my favorite.
But I also really like the painted security cameras outside gate #5.
Our building is the one on the left at the bottom of the staircase.
The cactus is 27 steps from the bottom and marks the beginning or end of the paintings, depending on which way you're going.
As it turns out, our neighborhood - called Jabal Al-Weibdeh ("Jabal" means "hill") - is sort of the artsy part of town. There are lots of art galleries, as well as art and culture foundations and handicraft stores all around our apartment and office. I hope to explore them more. An Ammani blogger has written about the art scene on Jabal Weibdeh here and here.
No comments:
Post a Comment