Sunday, March 20, 2011

London Redux

When we found out we'd be here longer than we planned, we decided we should definitely go back to London. I'm really glad we did because it was an even better day than our last trip!

This time it was just the two of us, and we started our day again at Borough Market. We had to go back for another grilled cheese. Topped it off with some coffee and blueberries and we were good to go.


After that we wandered around 10 Downing Street, St. Jame's Park, Buckingham Palace and a little sliver of Hyde Park. My favorite part was St. Jame's Park, but I didn't take any pictures.

Our major destination for the day was the Victoria & Albert Museum.  This is definitely the best museum we've been to here.  I really liked it.  P.S.  It is massive and we just scratched the surface.  According to Rick Steves it has more than 12 miles of corridors!  But here are some of my favorites.

The V & A has a wonderful room of Middle Eastern art.  Probably a good 70% of it came from Iran.


Huge glass chandelier in the entrance.


Lots and lots of interesting sculpture.


A room full of plaster casts of famous and important antiquities.  For instance, they have a plaster cast of Michelangelo's David, which was a gift to Queen Victoria from Italy.  Below is the cast of Trajan's Column


Beautiful modern stained glass.


Smashed brass band installation.


Room to try on a crinoline and Inverness cape.


And lots and lots of art.


After the V & A, Ryan and I split up.  He went to the Natural History Museum and the National Gallery, and I headed to the West End to see a play!  I pretty much feel super lucky that our stay here coincided with this run of The Children's Hour.  It was absolutely incredible.  I'm so glad I went.


We rounded out the day with Indian food for dinner and headed back to Cambridge.

5 comments:

  1. It all sounds so wonderful. I hope you get a chance to go to the antiquities room of the National Library. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your London delights=AMAZING!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO FUN!! glad you guys have enjoyed a little vacation--complete with biking, exploring, and yummy treats : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. so fun. btw i am planning to reply to your art email, just slow (as usual)

    sidenote-that glass chandelier is by dave chihuly, who makes some cool glass art: http://www.chihuly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am overcome with jealousy to the point of not wanting to comment. keira. grilled cheese. st. james park. victoria. albert.

    ReplyDelete