Afer visiting Jerash, we time-warped a thousand years to visit a Crusader castle. We drove up into the hills a bit and the weather changed drastically - we even thought it might rain! It was windy and cool and a great way to end the day after the heat of walking around Jerash.
We drove down into a valley and could see the castle across the expanse. Our driver stopped for us to take some pictures there.
 |
| Ajlun Castle on the peak |
 |
| Sara and Trish |
 |
| Entrance to Ajlun Castle |
 |
| Completely gorgeous views from the top |
When I say
Ajlun Castle was a Crusader castle, I have to clarify that really it was not built or inhabited by Crusaders. It was actually built by the family of
Saladin to protect against the attacks of Crusaders. In form and style, it is very similar to
Kerak (a true Crusader castle) - though not as large. During my previous visits to the region, I've focused mostly on Biblical and Roman history so I'm finding the history of the Crusades to be especially fascinating this time around.
No comments:
Post a Comment